Setting Up Windows XP
Use this information to configure your Windows XP computer to dial up to NetPoint.
Before you start:
- Make sure you have an operational modem, 28,000 bps or faster, installed in your computer.
STEP 1: Accessing Dial-up Connections
- Click on the [Start] button
- Click on [All Programs]
- Click on [Accessories]
- Click on [Communications]
- Choose [New Connection Wizard] from the menu
If you have never specified a dial-up connection in Windows XP before, you will now see a window labeled "Location Information" like the one below. If you do not see this window, skip to Step 2.
- Specify the values appropriate to your location in the blanks for "country/region" and "area code"
- Click [OK] to continue.
- At the next window, labeled "Phone and Modem Options", click [OK] to continue.
STEP 2: Using the New Connection Wizard
- The New Connection Wizard will now appear.
- Click the [Next] button to begin.
- Select the [Connect to the Internet] option, then click [Next]
Select [Set up my connection manually] and click [Next]
Select [Connect using a dial-up modem] and click [Next]
Click once in the ISP Name field and type "Netpoint". Click [Next] to continue.
- Click [Next] to continue. [Note: Selecting "Anyone's use" will not allow unauthorized users access to your internet service account - your username and password will still be required.]
Click once in the User name field and type your NetPoint username This is the part of your email address before, but not including, the "@starpoint.net"
Click once in the Password field and type your NetPoint password. Click in the Confirm password field and type it again.
If the computer you are setting up is used by people other than yourself who should not have access to your account, remove the check from the box labeled "Use this account..."
- Click [Next] to continue, then click on [Finish].
You will now see the following window - it will appear again in the future each time you connect to the internet. To connect, click on [Dial], otherwise, click [Cancel].
Once your computer has dialed and successfully connected, you can open your Internet web browser (e.g., Microsoft Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator) to begin browsing. You can now also open your email program (e.g., Eudora or Outlook Express) to configure it and check your email.
If you have further questions
©Starpoint Communications, Inc rights reserved.